"Don't ever judge a book by its cover. I never do. You never know what's out there and if people really are who they say they are."

"To handle yourself, use your head;
to handle others, use your heart!"

"I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person." - Audrey Hepburn

Saturday, February 6, 2010

"Killing us Softly"

Watching this speaker truly opened my eyes massively. We spend three years of our lives watching TV commericals; THIS IS INSANE.

Everyone states "I don't pay attention to ads," although how is this possible? The media sells values, images, abnormally, amongst more. Ultimatley, the media directed toward women is terrible.

Women are constantly portrayed as playthings, making it seems as though this is OK as we all watch the ads in awe, wishing we could be like them. WHY? I know I don't. Although, sometimes it's hard.

In the US today, it is especially "imporant" occording to our ads, that women stay skinny, larged breasted, and wrinkle-free in society. Why is this so important? I have no idea. It starts so young! One of my bestfriend's from back home is actually considering a boob job. What the heckkkkkk.

I mean, honestly, I know I personally give in to ads constantly. My hair has been black, brown, auburn, and blonde. I have over 50 hair products, lotions, bath stuff, and purfume alone. I have 3 cases of makeup, some hardly used. I have over 15 pairs of shoes, and 2 closets full of clothes. WHY? I like stuff? :)

Anyway, am I a target market? Absolutely. Not only women, but teenagers are as well. We are the most vulnerable. Ads take full advantage of this. We are just never "good enough" by ourselves, we just NEED their product?! Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with what you are saying. What you said here "The media sells values, images, abnormally, amongst more. Ultimatley, the media directed toward women is terrible." is completely true. Most people take women oriented advertising as a common thing. Most people dont even regard it as a growing issue but rather as something that is just socially accepted. This is primarily because of the media. People believe that if the media is saying that this is what you should look like well then let it be said. Being that i really don't care what i look like before i go out at night or to a class it really annoys me that girls worry so much about how they look. Who is to blame for this? Well the media. The fact that women at such a young age feel as if they need to get breast enlargement surgery's is just ridiculous. People need to learn and accept who they are and make the most of who they are. Not become somebody else's false representation of how they should look. All in all i believe that the media is instilling a flase image of the ideal women upon people at an early age but people should ignore this. People should stop caring so much how they look and just concentrate on being themselves. Girls and guys worry to much about how they look. Girls want to look sexy for their boyfriends and guys want to look cool for their girlfriends. But what it really boils down to is something different. Once you get older you will realize that in a relationship it is more important to be able to get along with one another rather than look good with them. As a i ramble on here i just hope that everyone realizes that its not about what you look like but who you truly are. Instead of worrying about what you look just go out and talk to people you wouldn't normally talk to. Converse and learn that there is more to how a person is on the inside rather than judging them from the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on everything. Its like were just forced to be in these stereotypes that are created by so few people. Only a small number of people look like these stereotypes we see on tv.

    ReplyDelete