"Don't ever judge a book by its cover. I never do. You never know what's out there and if people really are who they say they are."

"To handle yourself, use your head;
to handle others, use your heart!"

"I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person." - Audrey Hepburn

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Are you the dumbest generation?"

Well, as Mark Bauerlein suggests, we are. After watching the segment on Reason TV, I was fuming. I mean, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, although Mark's seemed ultimatley ignorant and closed-minded.

I mean, he made some legitimate points, like teenagers only care about other teenagers. Although, I would not use the word "ONLY" in the phrase, this is semi-true. As we discussed in Group 6, when we're home and our parents cook dinner, we feel horrible telling them we already made plans to go out.

IT'S NOT LIKE WE'RE HEARTLESS CREATURES? Mark B, please do tell what you did as a teenager??!! Jeeze louise.

Again, he proves his point that teenagers are obsessed with technology. We all have cell phones, MP3 players, cars, etc. and are pretty vastley adapted to it.

I know if someone asked me right now if I would prefer to visit a museum for the day, or see my friends, I would most likely choose my friends. I am a HUGE people-person, and museums are not exactly my kind of thing. Should this really measure my sense of intellectuality? I THINK NOT!?

I'm sure he's completely clueless toward his cell phone or a computer. Who does he go to? Probably his children. I guess this is pathetic?

I find it ultimatley interesting that he did not discuss his own generation AT ALL. This concerns me because many believe it was the previous generations' faults. We are just adapting to our surroundings.

WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO DO?!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. He does not talk about what his generation was like and the faults they had. Things are just different these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you said here is a very good point.

    "I am a HUGE people-person, and museums are not exactly my kind of thing. Should this really measure my sense of intellectuality?"

    I to would rather hang out with some friends rather then stare at some paintings. Its a new and different generation of people. I guess Dr. Baulerin's idea of a good time is standing in a museum for 10 hours by himself...

    It seems like Dr. Baulerin is trying to correlate "past" knowledge with intellectuality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fact that you pointed out that he did not talk about his own generation at all. We are what our parents made us. Its so much easier for him to look in from the outside and say that our generation is stupid. In his eyes our generation is below his and that is a quite bias way of looking at things. He is assuming that his generation is all high and mighty when he probably grew up in the sixties with all the hippies for crying out loud. He calls us stupid when so many of his generation were more concerned about dropping acid and listening to Hendrix than furthering their knowledge through higher education.

    ReplyDelete